Hi Dave,

Dave Howorth schrieb am 10.04.2023 um 21:46:
On Mon, 10 Apr 2023 18:38:18 +0200
Regina Henschel <rb.henschel@t-online.de> wrote:

Hi all,

I’m on working to specify the property “style:writing-mode” for ODF.
That property is called “text direction” in the UI of LibreOffice.

A page in a text document has the setting “Text direction” in section
“Paper Format” on tab “Page” of the “Page Style” dialog. Possible
values are Left-to-right (horizontal)
Right-to-left (horizontal)
Right-to-left (vertical)
Left-to-right (vertical)

That doesn't sound very sensible. What if I'm writing a document that
includes text in an L-R language as well as text in an R-L language?
(both horizontal). Maybe one included as a quote in the other?

Mixing the horizontal LTR and RTL directions is no problem. There exists the bidi-algorithm of UNICODE, which specifies how to do that inside a paragraph and the writing-mode attribute of the paragraph to mix LTR and RTL paragraphs. LibreOffice follows the bidi-algorithm and has means to change direction of paragraphs. You might not have seen the options, because you need to enable "Complex text layout" in the language settings in the options.

The problem for specification is, when the page text direction and the table direction are orthogonal to each other.

Kind regards,
Regina