I just set up a new HP - also a i5 with 12gb ram. Had a similar problem.
Went thru several uninstall - reinstall and .. after turning off the installed
virus protection - then installing - it worked. Im not 100% sure that was
the problem - Im not a Windows person - but that did work.
--
Registered Linux User: #480675
Registered Linux Machine: #408606