Hi,
I experienced something similar with inserted images with V4.X of LO. I
would happen - sometimes - that inserted images would be replaced by an
empty placeholder (like an empty frame). The only way I thought I could
use to recover was to erase the placeholder and re-insert the image
until I realized that this would occur when:
- the image was anchored to a paragraph or the page
- the size of the image was not margin-friendly (maybe just a bit too
wide or too high for the page)
Since then, I always anchor images as characters and make sure they fit
in the margin area of the page and the problem has stopped happening.
When I got the "empty placeholder problem", I would change the
anchoring and the size of the picture and it would re-appear.
I don't know if formulas will behave the same way, but you could start
there.
Good luck.
Rémy Gauthier.