At 20:34 05/07/2017 -0400, Doug McNutt wrote:
First post was on Sat, 29 Apr 2017 17:56:37 -0400
"Big decimal numbers as text"
And: Thank you for the replies last time. You helped get a bit further on.

I see only one previous (public) reply, very probably because you hijacked another thread, so anyone not reading that thread would not have seen your plea.

'20170428153706454600(works ok)   `20170428153706454600(fails)

Er, exactly: what you need is a plain, unvarnished typewriter apostrophe - nothing else will do.

Using menu item, insert-special character

Aaargh! The easiest way to get an "X" is to type it on the keyboard. The easiest way to get a "7" is to type it on the keyboard. The easiest way to get a "$" is to type it on the keyboard. The easiest way to get a plain, unvarnished typewriter apostrophe is to type it on the keyboard.

That seems to work but it sometimes doesn't.

The only reason this might not work is if you have LibreOffice set to replace single quotes (apostrophes) with smart quotes. If that is the problem, either: o Go to Tools | AutoCorrect Options... | Localized Options | Single quotes, and remove the tick from Replace (perhaps temporarily), or o Go to Edit | Undo (or Ctrl+Z) immediately after typing the apostrophe to remove the automatic "correction".

If I choose a cell and declare its format to be Number-Scientific, ...

Your problem is that you are handling something that looks like a number but is actually (to you) a text string. Telling Calc that you want it handled as a number is asking for trouble. Why would you do that?

I don't see any way to declare a cell as number, 63 bit binary integer with leading sign.

Again, this is not what you want. Rereading your original query, I see that you are trying to enter long strings of digits that look like numbers (as your example above) but which you want handled *as text*. Stop trying to tell Calc that you want them seen as numbers!

I suspect that LibreOffice does what Excel does; all numbers use IEEE floating point.

This is irrelevant: you are handling text, not numbers. (Did I mention that?)

My recommendation for repair is to remove the possibility of space characters being introduced anywhere.

I'm not sure what you think need repairing. As to space characters, am I not to be able to enter "Doug McNutt" into a cell - with its helpful space? Am I not to be able to enter a telephone number, also appropriately spaced?

Some thoughts:

1. Think of your example value above: 20170428153706454600. Is there any sense in which this means to you (or your bank) twenty quintillion, one hundred and seventy quadrillion, four hundred and twenty-eight trillion, one hundred and fifty three billion, seven hundred and six million, four hundred and fifty-four thousand, six hundred? Surely not (or are you richer than I imagine?). If you don't believe me, tell me what it would mean if the next label the bank provided was exactly half this? That is the sort of question you can ask about numbers, but not about text. These are text strings that just happen to be formed of digits.

2. You say previous replies helped, but you make no reference to what happened when you tried the advice to format the cells as Text before entering values.

3. You say previous replies helped, but you make no reference to what happened when you tried the advice to use Edit | Paste Special... (or Ctrl+Shift+V) instead of ordinary Paste.

4. Instead of using copy and paste at all, save the source text first as a plain text (.txt or .csv) file and use Insert | Sheet From File... to browse to and import the data. The Text Import window provides a very flexible system for getting data into Calc the way you need it - even including being able to set the "Column type" to Text. (Oh, *please* use Text for these strings of digits.) The new data will appear on a new sheet, but it is a simple task to move it to an existing sheet (probably using ordinary Paste this time).

I trust this helps.

Brian Barker