In OpenOffice, the two downright most annoying features were to me:

1. Having to put in credentials for being saved to a document.

This is gone from LibreOffice, thanks god.

2. Recovery.

The recovery feature is pretty much useless and downright annoying.

I have a system that currently crashes often, so every time I open my document, it gets recovered.

First of all the choice of needing to recover presented to the user before he/she can see the document, is just silly.

The program "vim" has the same. Out of the million times the recovery thing was presented to me, the only times when I lost data was when I recovered something that I had already written to and the recovery was actually older, from my perspective. Yes I did lose text, no matter how little it was in that instance.

There is no point to recovering if you don't know what's in it. The least you could do is to tell a person what has changed between versions, but:

I really wanted to call this stupid. It is just downright stupid.

It has existed for as long as I can remember and it is just equally as stupid still.

It is still equally as stupid. Just stupid, stupid , stupid.

Putting an extra space in there on purpose. Cause I'm stupid too. So we can both be stupid now. ;-).

There's no point to this recovery system. The last time it started to recover, it then couldn't find the recovery file (in ~/.config/....) and then said it had recovered successfully. Well, how good you are!

It is an unnecessary step and only frustrates. It does not even check whether the files have changed. Most of the times there are no changes because my system doesn't crash unless I do something to it (usually) and I have my changes saved.

Vim also tries to recover files that haven't changed (because I never even entered edit mode) and the only lesson you learn from it is to always press delete. This is not about Vim, it is about LibreOffice, but I am stupid.

If I could press delete on LibreOffice too, I would do it. Not the entire program this time, only the recovery file that makes no sense and 90% of the time I will know it makes no sense to begin with.

But you are forced to go through these unnecessary steps. And maybe you can turn it off, fine, I'm sure you can.

But it serves no purpose to anyone really. It would even be better if it just created backups in the same directory upon each save and just used that or offered that or by ill chance just inform the user of that if you have nothing better.

Even a dropdown that said "view changes" would be better. Even a dialog checking changes if it wants to recover at all, would be better. Anything you imagine would probably be better including throwing the source document away but having a backup of it that you can load.

Yes, even automatic recovery without the annoying dialog would be better.

I mean it is just an opinion here. But OpenOffice has existed since at least 2000 from my memory, and it has *always* bugged the hell out of me.

And there is still no point to that system. None at all.