On 4/20/2015 3:04 AM, Graham Luffrum <grhmlffrm@gmail.com> wrote:
As Andreas writes, it depends on the number of rows.  Originally I tried
with only a small number and it was not a problem.  With 500 there is a
delay of several seconds.  When I tried 5000 Calc froze completely.

Sounds like maybe the problem is more evident on Windows.

I just tested a little more, and, just selecting every other row:

 - with 10 selected, the delay is about 4 seconds
 - with 20 selected, the delay increased to about 20 seconds

This is on a Win7 64bit, Intel Core-i5-4670S, 8GB RAM, running on an SSD.

On a not completely unrelated topic, it slightly annoys me that when in a
Calc sheet I open the right-click menu and then select "Format" it takes
more than 5 seconds before the format box appears.

Interesting - I saw maybe a 2 second delay the first time I just tested,
then tried a bunch more times with many variations of the number of
cells selected, and each time it opened almost immediately (within a
second)...

I tested on a blank spreadsheet, and one of our internal ones that has a
bit of data on it, as well as 15+ worksheet tabs. Maybe that one is
linux only, or has something to do with the type of content?