On 07/04/2014 04:16 AM, Jim Seymour wrote:
On Fri, 4 Jul 2014 08:37:46 +0100
Tom Davies <tomcecf@gmail.com> wrote:

[snip]
*  Some distros have already moved from MySql to MariaDb
[snip]

How does a distro "move from" one dbms to another?  Admittedly: I
don't keep track of all the latest & greatest stuff on the FOSS world
(I presume MariaDb is FOSS?), but I'd never heard of MariaDb before.
Furthermore: Considering how even PostgreSQL, which has, technically
speaking, been around *longer* than MySQL, can gain little traction
as a backend dbms for many projects, I would think it would be
suicide for any distro to try to "move from" MySQL to such a thing.

snip

Moving from MySQL to Mariadb is very easy. I use Slackware Linux and Slackware, with the 14.1 distribution, moved from MySQL to Mariadb. My research on Mariadb has shown me that even the MySQL apps, such as mysql_install_db are fully supported in Mariadb and retain the app name so scripts should run without change. So far, I have not encountered any significant differences between the interfaces of either back-end. I might add that the compatability is such that even the Oracle mysql-connector-java driver will interface with Mariadb as-is.

Years ago when I was researching the DBMS market to decide which one I wanted to use, at that time Postgresql had some limitations which MySQL did not. I no longer remember what they were, but it seemed that MySQL was more mature and had more of the features that I wanted, so I committed to MySQL. MySQL has worked for me and that is what counts. Postgresql may now have equivalent or better features, but I have made my commitment and do not want to spend the energy and resources required to switch to Postgresql. I may not be alone in that, so that may be why you see no "traction" for Postgresql.

"Suicide"? No. Slackware does not do such things haphazardly. They only make such decisions if the software is proven to work and only after much testing. Slackware has been known to drop packages that have refused to fix bugs in a reasonable time, especially security bugs. I suspect Oracle's MySQL fits that category.

HTH.
Girvin Herr