Hi :)
Actually i find even then styles help quite a bit.  I don't use Master
Documents or sub-documents yet but the basics help.

For the new document you can;
1.   right-click on the style, such as "text-body" (although i think
it might be better to create a new one by copying that to a new name)
2.  "Modify style"
3.  Watch the changes ripple throughout the document.
Although i tend to just stay with my preferred "house style" anyway.

I sometimes do posters for my company's (well my bosses) client groups
and still find styles quite useful.  They give a good base-line and
then i do some direct formatting to make it more wacky and
eye-catching (but not tooo much).

Regards from
Tom :)