Hi Tim, all

krackedpress wrote
They need to spend their time "converting" the Windows version to the
"portable" version.  It takes some time.  So they pick and choose which
version they will send their time on.  LO 3.6.7 comes out soon, but they
will not make that version, since the 4.0.x line is out.  When 4.1.x
line comes out, they will be moving to that and not work any more on the
previous line.

And I believe that people who use Portable versions would rather have an
option to update or not to a given version, regardless of the PortableApps
mood.
Time is not a valid argument because it takes time to convert for the
WinPenPack people as well...
It's a matter of choices (priorities) for each project. My opinion is that
the WinPenPack options serve better the LO users.

krackedpress wrote
Sure, there are other "portable" software groups, but I only have dealt
with the PortableApps group, since TDF deals with them.  If another
group starts making a good version for LO, then maybe the Board might
want to look at them as well.  For me, I just go with the current
version that TDF/LO are listing on the download pages.

That is your prerogative. I was offering you an alternative (better in my
opinion).

krackedpress wrote
Why would you want to run a portable version of LO when you have one
installed?

Because when I'm triaging or submitting bugs I need to test for regressions.
It is much faster to run several Portable versions to check when the bug
first occurred or if it has always been in LO/OOo

krackedpress wrote
As for versions that are optimized for slower systems, well anyone who
can deal with the compile/make process from the source code to binaries,
can do some basic optimizing to a specific system.

If it's that simple why aren't both optimized? If anyone can do it, then I'm
glad someone actually did it because I know I don't have the knowledge but I
do appreciate the enhancement.

krackedpress wrote
If you really think that TDF should look at the other portable app
groups, then you need to bring it up to one of the Board members - and
off the User list.  These types of discussions work best on the Discuss
List or some other list instead of the User list.

Board members are aware of my public opinion on these lists. The Discuss
list is dead (half of the topics here
http://nabble.documentfoundation.org/Discuss-f1621725.html are SPAM). The
User list is where more people participate and I have been advised in the
past by members of the Board to keep discussions here...

Here are some topics on the subject if you are interested
http://nabble.documentfoundation.org/LibreOffice-Portable-td4009436.html
http://nabble.documentfoundation.org/Portable-vs-Parallel-which-one-is-better-td4056781.html