On 01/29/2013 03:38 PM, Taang Zomi wrote:
On Tue, Jan 29, 2013 at 12:31 PM, Brian Barker<b.m.barker@btinternet.com>wrote:

At 11:51 29/01/2013 -0500, Taang Zomi wrote:

On Mon, Jan 28, 2013 at 12:30 AM, Brian Barker wrote:

At 18:04 27/01/2013 -0500, Taang Zomi wrote:

In LibreOffice 3.3 Math Guide (0700MG33-MathGuide3.3.odt), on p. 14,
the following is written:

*Numbering equations*
Equation numbering is one of LibreOffice Math's best hidden features.
The steps are simple, but obscure:
1. Start a new line.
2. Type *fn* and then press *F3*.
[...]

When I typed fn and pressed F3, nothing happened. In the document the
fn I typed appeared, not the desired result.  I do not know whether my F3
key did not work.

I think what you may be doing (understandably) is to try this in a Math
document - and I cannot see how it works there.  Instead, it works as
described in a text (Writer) document.  Indeed, I notice that the version
of the Math Guide for LibreOffice version 3.5 has corrected "Equation
numbering is one of LibreOffice Math's best hidden features" to read
"Equation numbering is one of Writer's best hidden features".

In a text document, in a new paragraph or after a space, type "fn" and
press F3.  A table with a single row of two columns appears, containing a
dummy equation and the required number (as a field).  You need only to
double-click the equation to open the Math window at the bottom of the
  window, where you can remove the dummy equation's definition and replace
it with your own.

The typing of fn and the pressing of F3 yields an onscreen message:
AutoText for Shortcut " not found.

Something seems to be missing on my computer. Perhaps I need to
re-install LibreOffice 3.6.4, which I am using?

No, I suspect that you are simply not following the advice given.  *Don't*
start a Math document.  *Don't* use Insert | Object > | Formula.  Instead,
forget about Math for the moment!  In a text (Writer) document, type "fn"
in a new paragraph and press F3.  You will see the dummy numbered equation.
  Now double-click the equation: this will automatically open the Math
sub-window and you can replace the dummy equation's definition by your own.

I trust this helps.

Brian Barker

--
Dear Brian,

Thank you very much for your reply.

I just started a new Writer document, typed fn and then pressed F3, and
got the same message:

AutoText for Shortcut " not found.

Sincerely,

Taang Zomi
      What version of LibreOffice are you using?
Use Ctrl+F3 to open the AutoText dialog. Open the Standard folder in the Name window. Look for "Formula Numbering" in this list. I checked my LO versions. LO 3.5.7, 3.6.5, and 4.0.0.2 have it. I don't know when LO started putting this AutoText in the AutoText dialog, so if you have a version earlier than I do, you may not have it.

--Dan