Thank you, Miroslaw, for your explanation.

I had not encountered the "cascade" behavior in this fashion in OOo; there, I had always used "Default" as the primary style; based on that I had then configured all other
styles without any quirks at all.

It is only after I started working with LO Writer that I met up with the 'strange' response of paragraphs to the Default style. Your explanation cleared things up and now, with
Text Body as the basic style, the problems have seemingly disappeared.

At this point, my only question is: what caused the designers of the Writer code
to change the modus operandi?

Thanks again for your clarification.

john