On 01/29/2012 05:47 PM, doug wrote:
On 01/29/2012 03:25 PM, webmaster for Kracked Press Productions wrote:
On 01/29/2012 09:25 AM, lee wrote:
Tom Davies<tomdavies04@yahoo.co.uk>  writes:

Hi :)
|It sounds like something in auto-correct to me.  What sorts of words
| are getting capitalised?  Days of the week, place names, first word
| in a sentence, stuff like that?  Hmm, now that i have looked in

Tools - "AutoCorrect Options"
Thanks, I found it!

Did you see all the other options in the AutoCorrect Option tabs? There are a lot of parts like exemption, replace, auto complete, that might be useful to someone.

The ignore double spaces is an option that needs to be looked. To be honest, I do not know what it does when it is checked. I use double spacing between lines of text, since that was the "preferred" way the last time I took an English course that required "typed" papers. The professor required double spaces between lines of the "proper English". I wonder if double spacing could be for double spacing in the line spacing?
/snip/

I think the "double spaces" refers to the old scheme I was taught in school 60 years ago to double-space after a period. Apparently that's not good practice anymore. The line spacing you can set up in the format protocol.

--doug

Things change and then change back all the time. I have 3 college degrees. The "official" proper use and look of foot notes changed 4 or 5 times between the first college degree, through the last and into my work at a local school district. Other page formatting from margins, notation, biography, and other parts of a written paper as the years went by, swing from one extreme and back again. As for the 60 years ago for double space issue, well I had to type up college papers [with a Windows based computer in 2000 or 2001] and I was required to use 2 spaces between a period and the capital letter of the next line - Required or it would loose me grade points. There was some papers that required a full line spacing between text lines of the page, while others used standard line spacing. For the foot notes, and other things, I had to buy the currently used English writing text book used in the first two semester courses for writing properly. I already had 3 others on the shelf and had to use the newest one. The book changed since my 1st semester of the 3rd degree and the last semester of night college courses [3+ years later taking only the courses needed to go from the 2nd degree to the 3rd one].

So the long and short of it is, what is required for proper writing of papers changes yearly, or every time English professionals get together to review what concepts and requirements came out since the last get-together.

Now that people use computers more than typewriters, the changes can come faster as the influences are spread via the Net faster. Actually my neighbor's kids were required to type of their 5-8 grade papers before their parents could afford to buy one. IF it was not typed up via a computer and a printed copy with a digital copy handed in, they would fail the assignment. This was at a school where over a third of the kids had no computer at home, but it was a requirement for the district that their students had to have a computer at home to write/print/save-to-disc their written assignments - since it was easier and quicker to read than handwritten papers. I ended up having the neighbor's kids come over and type on one of my machines in my home/office.